Danny Garvin, a once homeless teen who participated in the Stonewall riots, died December 9, 2014. During the recent holidays, many of us spent time with and enjoyed the meaning of family and friends. As we embrace a new year, please remember:
- 20% of homeless youth are LGBT. In comparison, the general youth population is only 10% LGBT.
- While homeless youth typically experience severe family conflict as the primary reason for their homelessness, LGBT youth are twice as likely to experience sexual abuse before the age of 12.
- LGBT youth, once homeless, are at higher risk for victimization, mental health problems, and unsafe sexual practices. 58.7% of LGBT homeless youth have been sexually victimized compared to 33.4% of heterosexual homeless youth
- LGBT youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to experience acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth
- LGBT homeless youth commit suicide at higher rates (62%) than heterosexual homeless youth (29%) National Coalition for the Homeless, June 2009